In 2014, our Club developed a Leadership Development Program (“LDP”). LDP runs from
September to May of each year and the purpose of LDP is to provide a select group of Club members the
opportunity to (i) engage with their Club and learn about the responsibilities of leading it, (ii) work in a group setting with future Club leaders, (iii) develop professional and business development skills, and (iv)
develop meaningful relationships with fellow Rotaractors and Rotarians.
Throughout the term of LDP, participants are able to learn from community and Club leaders. A
few of our past speakers have included the following:
- John Peinhardt and Mike Mahon (the founders of our Club)
- Executive Director of Leadership Birmingham
- Executive Director of the Alabama School of Fine Arts
- Director of Economic Development of the City of Birmingham
- President of Birmingham-Southern College
- U.S. Marine Corps General
- Coaching and Communications Consultants
- Past Rotaract Presidents
- Rotaract Foundation Board Members
One of LDP’s highlights is the Professional Partners Program, which is a collaborative effort between our Club and the Downtown Rotary Club of Birmingham. LDP participants are paired with a member of the Downtown Rotary Club for one-on-one mentoring sessions.
In addition to the Professional Partners Program, LDP participants also have the unique
opportunity to take personality and career assessments through a local consulting firm. After the
assessment, participants can meet with the consultant to review their results, discuss ways to improve
upon their weaknesses, and learn about their strengths.
Applications for the Leadership Development Program open in July each year. If you would like
to learn more about LDP, please contact our Vice President of Membership Development at